Thursday, July 12, 2012

Belgium and Paris


Had delicious waffles for only 3 euros! Except they were sooo full of sugar I almost got sick ...I bought chocolates for the fam but didn't try any.. not much of a chocolate fan. All of the builidungs are very Art Deco / nouveau (beautiful)  and did you know that the European Parliament is based out of Belgium!?? I didn't!
There are statutes of little boys peeing EVERYWHERE. the story goes that during the war a spark caught near a large stock pile of ammo and gun powder and this little boy saw it.. so he called for help, but nobody came.. so he whipped out his little wee wee and per on it .. saving the country! Haazah!
I got a sweeeet ass t shirt with headphones, the cord spells out Belgium and some other fun things (I don't want to ruin surprises )
Sooo then we drove in to Paris, I finished half of my "Last 7 months of Anne Frank" book ... and had a horrible kink in my neck from falling asleep on the bus, we all look like we are doing yoga with these absurd poses in our seats...

They drive on the right side of the road! Who knew!  (57% of people in Paris do not own a car..)
So we arrived and our hotel is nice, (ohhhhhh I forgot to mention, in Amsterdam our hostel was... a hostel. And I wasn't entirely fond. Breakfast sucked. I got bug bites, but I didn't have to share a bed! We each had a bunk bed.) Anyway.. the bed in Paris could also be called a rock. Or a piece of slate, but aesthetically its pleasing, and that's all Parisians care about. We went to Sacre Couere and made our way to a local piano bar. 5 freaking euros for a sprite!!!!!!!! When I asked for a lemonade. They hated our French attempts. The city is beautiful at night. Its not what I imagined tho... like in certain parts there little cafes and small cobblestone roads.. but a large part of Paris is dirty and ... well not friendly looking.. we are going more into the city tomorrow, so maybe that will change. We had a sightseeing tour today, our tour guide called Madonna the Queen of America. They love here. I laughed. I we drove past the Love lock bridge, the Eiffel tower, the louvre,  musee Rodin, Champs Elysses, the Opera Palace, the old Texas Embassay, lots of Gucci and Chanel stores! He explained the difference between high fashion and ready to wear.. high fashion is like Lady GaGa wearing a dress for one night, ready to wear is like Gucci making 600 copies of the same dress. I went to find a potty and ended up roughly asking a French guard " Out est les toillettes?" He giggled. And replied in English where I was to go.. I laughed and said I know I sound stupid, and apologized.. on my way back he smiled and winked, I was glad he didn't hate me atleast lol.. I figured out that I was suppose to say "Ou sont les toilettes? Instead.. 

Then we took the metro, then the train (which is not as nice as the underground, and not as clean) to get to Versailles.
It was suppppper crowded. It was beautifullllllllll tho!! Sooooo glamerous, all sorts of things painted in gold and silver! It was really awesome learning about all the mistresses and lovers of all the kings and quuens, and the importance of having a male heir. I also learned a lot about the Polish Queen who married King Louis the.... 13th maybe... they all had crazy wigs and even crazier corsettes! Having a blonde wig was hard to get because most French are brunettes, and the younger the hair (from a teen)  the more expensive.. hair from a dead person was myth to bring bad luck, but poor people had to do it.. Did you know to be bald was a sign of being uneducated... All and all Versailles was beautiful, the hall of mirrors was lovely, the mirrors were dirty tho lol.

I'm a little put off by all the scary guys trying to force me into buying crappy plastic Eiffel Towers, and hoe expensive everything is!!.. hopefully I'll get to see a more romantic side of Paris on our Seine Cruise tomorrow and our 4 course meal with unlimited wine :)

Off to the Cabaret tonight!! Gotta go get all dolled up!

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds so interesting. I can't wait to see more pictures. How was the Cabaret? Send pictures of you all dolled up too! I am glad you are enjoying learning about history. I would love to hear all about that (so don't forget!)
    Love you lots, see you in 10 days! Kids can't wait.

    ReplyDelete