Monday, July 23, 2012

The Riviera!

French Riviera!! This place was awesome as well! We stopped by a perfumery on the way to our hotel! It was exciting because they talked about Tonka Beans being used for fragrance but I remembered Googling Coumadin and Warfarin, they are also extracted from the Tonka Bean.. Coumadin comes from the French word Coumarou.. so it was pretty cool using all my Pharm knowledge haha (random sidenote, Italy had so many Fleur De Lis everywhere! It reminded of Ursuline <3 ) they made soaps that smelled like lemons and were shapped like lemons and eggs and duckies! I didn't buy anything. I can get that stuff at Bath and Body Works haha. So we arrived at our hotel, called Cannes Beach Residence .. it was like a little resort! We had like a vacation style flat.. so we had 5 girls in a room probably made for 3. Oh well! We went night swimming at the beach! It was super close by, all we had to do is walk thru this creepy tunnel that use to be a sewer and we were there! So I can't believe I swam out to those.huge floating rafting with everyone. Let me rephrase, Stjepan basically carried me out to it Because I can't swim to save my life. It was straight out of a scary movie where a large group of people swim out at night in the ocean and get eaten by sharks, while the level headed losers watch their friends get eaten as they sit on the shore. We didn't get eaten! Yay! It was beautiful out! The sky had a line of clouds straight down and we could see the city sparkle all around. Monaco was close by! The next morning, we SLEPT IN!!!! probably the first time in 20 days! It felt incredible. We moseyed around, went to an open market ( I bought strawberries, blueberries, 1 peach, and a super strange sandwich that I could identify having black olives, maybe Tuna or Chicken, hard boiled egg, possibly a potato or a pear, red pepper sauce maybe curry and that may be it.. maybe.) We ran around trying to find a swim suit because half of is didn't bring any (including me) I got onethat looked like an Indian pattern, way over priced and wayyyy too small! Oooooh well! People go topless I think I get 2 points just for being covered! We went to the beach. I forgot to put sunscreen on for a good hour. Remembered. Attempted to swim out to the floaty raft thing, laid out there with everyone.. came back in closer to the shore, played chicken with Tasha, Yelena, Sunny, Parker, and Stjepan. Straight out of a Mary Kate and Ashley movie hahaha. I don't care what they say. They cheated. Haha. We ate on the beach, I looked like I killed a small cat from all the strawberries all over my hands and towel.. we got SO SO SO burnt. I am in physical pain right now. I have hysterical tan lines. Utterly rediculous. fun day at the beach tho =]
When we got back from the beach Ginette and Anel cooked us a FANTASTIC dinner!!! We had fettuccine, long green beans, a huge whopping piece of meat (that they made sure wasn't chewy for me <3 ) probably one of the best meals we had. Ginette can adopt me. Tasha And I went with the Croats to walk around the city at night.. it was shank land I swear. I was freaking out about getting killed. They thought I was exaggerating a bit but it seemed like the Croats were going to kill us and eat us as a tradition haha. We stopped at a cool bar by our hotel that had crazy drinks like Le Pirate & Gorilla that came in crazy glasses! Don't worry we took photos haha the drinks came with candy on the straws like they did in Paris! ) [two random things I forgot to mention, Speedy suggested we go to a Lebanese restaurant in the Riviera  and oh. My. Gosh.. bad idea. The guy refused to let us share a meal even tho it was 22 euros a plate! And they were HUGE portions! We navigated around his attempt to make us pay more and in the end he "allowed us" to eat as a group. Don't think we are cheap we were just sharring one plate for two people Geesh! The food was.. alright. Not my fancy. Lots of couscous and chewy lamb and meat and vegetable soup :(
Second thing I forgot to tell you about.. at the Sulfur Lake, the one with the castle.. it had upside down V's at the top of the towers to symbolize their allegiance to the king not the pope.. because there was such a strong power struggle between the two)  anyway so last night after the cool drink at the bar, we stayed up til 3 just BSing and packing and I made grilled cheese for everyone .. yum!!! We woke uo super dooper early to fight for good seats on the bus. I literally waited 39 minutes before the bus even arrived to save seats where I wanted haha. Its quite intense. Maybe I should explain.. a little more later but brief overview now is that there is a group of kids we call the Gerbil Gang who are utterly obnoxious and we eon't want to be even within ear shot of them. Especially not for a te hour bus ride to Barcelona!! That leaves me to right now.. sitting on the bus, driving to Spain.. its 500 kilometers away.. like that helps anyone understand. That's just what Speedy told me when I asked him how far away we are haha. Today we are stopping by a sweet ass picnic place on the way - Pont du Gard ... its an aquaduct .. were going swimming yay! And jumping off rocks! After that Barcelona! Shopping. Shopping. Beach. Shopping. Pub crawl. Gay club.  Farewell dinner. home.

No comments:

Post a Comment