Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Interesting things in London (mostly)


1st. There is MAD grafiti all over Europe, particularly in Dublin and Amsterdam .. now back home I would take that as a huge sign saying "run. This is the slums." But it really isn't exclusive to shady areas over here (that I've noticed yet)  I love grafiti too so I'm pretty excited

2nd. Breakfast! Yummy scrumptious! In London they deep fry toast and sausages and then I put Dippy eggs on top of that. Talk about delicious! They usually have OJ and apple juice, some type of bran cereal that is suppose to resemble coco puffs (they fail in taste) and croissants with jams, etc.

3rd. I briefly analyzed the English way of speaking -accents and such,  when I say English I mean Great Britain's accent but they call it "English English" anyway okay here I begin: this is what I noticed, everything is higher pitched in a way, when we say the word 'am' it's as if we say 'ham' minus the H. They say 'am' as if we say 'Ahh!' And adding an M at the end.. try it! 'Ahhm' ... we say 'royal' like roy-ulll they say it like 'wroyil' (all smooshed together, sort of sounding a little Down Syndrome-y and with a deep voice) and when saying any word with a T in the middle of it you can eliminate that sound completely.. for example: butter and slur the letters together. They don't annuciate like we do (atleast in my opinion)

4th. The weather is SOOOO indecisive!!!!!!! I am not exaggerating.. in an hour and a half period, it was windy and overcast, pouring rain, blazing hot and humid, sprinkling rain, and then cold again. I looked like a lunatic stripping from my raincoat and zip-up to my shirt every five seconds. That is pretty much the entire time in London felt like.. Dublin was just a constant wet.

5th. Architecture. It is beautiful! London has a lot of parts that were bombed during the second World War so a lot of buildings and places are still being renovated from the shrapnal beating up the sides. All and all tho, they are very pretty old building with lots of statues and monuments everywhere.. there are also modern building but when I say modern I mean verrrrry funky modern!!

6th. Clothing. Everyone is so stinkin classy I swear (in London and Dublin) . Men's hairstyles are by far better than America's guys. They look very well kept. Everything is fitted and slim. Not toooo tight or obnoxious tho, but I can always pick out an American in the crowd. I think I blend fairly well.. definitely not like a European, but I'm not walking around in basketball shorts, a wiz kahlifa shirt or high top nikes in the city like others...

7th. Food. Whoever said London had bland food was WRONG. all those silly websites I read lied to me. Lol. I stopped at a popular cafe.. I can't even compare it to anything we have back home.. but they make sandwiches, wraps, and paninis etc THAT day. The foods out, and anything they don't sell they donate to local shelters THAT night. Its wonderful!!!! Nothing has weird chemicals or preservatives. I read the side of the ingredients and identified every word. I am quoting one of their signs " this egg and all the ones in our shop kitchens come from free-range chickens, running around in fields.. not stuck in factories. This is better for the chickens, better for British farmers and better for us all." Then every drink they sell they donate ten pence to a local charity as well. Like. Wow.that's incredible. And the food is PHENOMENAL and CHEAP -5 pounds for an entire meal and drink!! The place is called Pret A Manger... I'd highly suggest to anyway travelling.. and as for the rest, Indian food is better in London then alot of places in India .. supposedly because London had a huge trading with them and stuff haha history isn't my forte.

8th. Transport.. the elevators have their little buttons on the side (the left)  when you walk in( not to the side of the doors like ours are) London's are like on the wall where people stand.! Annoying. The underground - sooooo easy to navigate, and It goes everywhere..I'm a fan. Its a bit crowded sometimes but usually after a bit you can find a seat.. I bought a day pass for 7 pounds but as a group or a long term thing you can get them for cheaper.. it's hot sometimes, but the seats are sooooo comfy. I actually got caught up in a conversation about Mary Kate and Ashley's Passport to Paris movie and forgot about my stop haha

9th. Did I talk about how music is pretty American here? And a lot of it is old school.. like throwbacks and 90s too. But then there is also such a huge Indie and dubstep base that is very popular on the radios! woooo whoo!!

10th. Immigrants .. alright in America,  atleast my own perception of immigration tends to have a negative connotation. Like just say the phrase 'crossing the border' and people stir in their seats. This trip really really opened my eyes to that. It is very very eclectic in London. Everyone immigrated at one point or another practically. Which is the SAME for America, yet we are so so rude to Mexicans. Its true. I have always heard. Ahhhhhh learn how to speak English. Ohhhh they're taking over our neighborhoods bla bla bla. Well it's shit. That's exactly how we started off at one point.  Maybe not Native Americans, but we were the jerks that took over their land! I am in a foreign country, with a thick American accent and no concept of their language or customs and yet I'm still (for the most part) treated very well and always accomodated... its so incredible that all these people cohabitate so well in the city.. like Chinese and Spanish and Japanese and Irish and Welsh , the list goes on and on.. I understand I'm sure they have their tiffs.. but people also understand that they were once immigrants too. It truly has given me a deeper respect for those coming to the United States in search of a better life.

11th. Two more weird words, they say Holiday instead of vacation.. like "oh your on a holiday" and mobile (moe-bile) instead of cell phone

1 comment:

  1. We HAVE to talk when you get back -- I am very nostalgic reading your posts -- can't wait to get back to England. :-)
    Continue having a TERRIFIC time!!
    Dr. Podis

    ReplyDelete